Morristown is located in unincorporated Maricopa County at the junction of State Route 74 (Carefree Highway) and Highway 60 (Grand Avenue) and is approximately 50 miles northwest of downtown Phoenix. The first name for the present day community of Morristown was Vulture Siding, but in 1897 after the importance of Vulture Mine had faded, the name of the place changed to Hot Springs Junction because at this station passengers disembarked from the train to take a stage to Castle Hot Springs. The name was later changed to Morristown to honor the first inhabitant at the place, George Morris, the discoverer of the Mack Morris Mine in Gila County. The first Post Office was established on December 30, 1897 by Lee H. Landis a postmaster of Wells Fargo Station in 1903.
Morristown is home to Morristown Elementary School District (K-8 grades), Morristown-Circle City Fire District and Morristown Post Office as well as to the internet sensation Tardar Sauce, the Grumpy Cat. The Morristown Store, formerly the Morristown Hotel, also located within the town, is listed on the National Register of Historical Places. Much of Morristown is within the municipal planning area of Surprise, and Surprise intends to eventually annex the area.